Etiquette & Ethics
Whilst training in karate, there is a large emphasis on combining the physical training with developing the character of the students.
There needs to be a mutual respect between the students and the teachers. Williams Karate Academy have strong rules in place that all students need to follow during their training:
- Always bow when entering or leaving the dojo
- Junior grades should always bow first to their seniors
- Instructors should be called ‘Sensei’ and not called by their name
- Fingernails need to be clean and short enough to avoid scratching or cutting
- Jewellery or watches should not be worn
- When entering the dojo, you must remove your shoes
- Long hair should be tied back
- If you arrive late to training you must minimise the disruption to the class. Your warm up must be done outside of the dojo. When you are ready to join the class, you must enter the dojo quietly and stand at the back where the sensei can see them. When ready, the sensei will signal for them to join in, you must bow deeply and walk quickly and quietly around the back of the class until convenient to go to an appropriate position.
- You must ensure that your Gi is kept clean and in good condition at all times.
- You must wear the appropriate colour belt with any tabs with your Gi at all times
- All students should visit the toilet before training starts